Today, we celebrate Mexico’s victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla. AKA Cinco de Mayo. Our newsletter today includes big news from Eviation, Pure Watercraft, DeLorean, Lexus, dolaGon, Cruise, and more.
Enjoy the newsletter and don’t forget to share with other EV/AV enthusiasts. Have an amazing Cinco de Mayo.
- Lucid Air Dream Edition R with 19-inch wheels, 520 miles
- Tesla Model S Long-Range, 405 miles
- Rivian R1T Quad-Motor AWD with Max battery pack, 314 miles
- Tesla Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel Drive, 358 miles
- Mercedes-Benz EQS 450+, 350 miles
- Tesla Model X, 348 miles
- Tesla Model Y Long Range All-Wheel Drive, 330 miles
- GMC Hummer EV Edition 1, 329 miles
- BMW iX xDrive 50 with 20-inch wheels, 324 miles
- Rivian R1S Quad-Motor AWD with Large pack, 316 miles
Do not worry about range. In 2019, the average daily commute was around 39 miles. It will be okay.
In other EV News
- DeLorean teased a video this week with the hashtag DeLorean EVolved and on their website, there is a countdown for a reveal. Scroll for the video.
- Stellantis has announced its $200 million decision to produce EVs at its existing plant in Kragujevac, Serbia. Around $50 million will come from the government in Serbia.
- Lexus’ first EV, the Lexus RZ 450e prototype, is a sight for sore eyes. The five-passenger vehicle comes with an optional steer-by-wire system and yoke-style steering wheel, available in 2023. The car has a range of 252 miles.
- GM and Pure Watercraft have begun a joint venture and produced an electric pontoon boat. Late last year, GM purchased a 25% stake in Pure Watercraft and earlier this year they unveiled an electric pontoon. The 25-foot, 9-inch boat can fit up to 10 passengers and has a range of 120 miles at an average speed of 5 mph. It will cost around $45,000 for a single outboard motor or $60,000 for the twin outboards.
- Ford’s Home Integration System, a system that allows the Ford F-150 lightning to power your home, costs $3,895 before installation. The system is rated 80-amp and features bi-directional capacity.
- Sila Nanotechnologies will invest in a battery material factory in Washington State. The factory will support the production of up to 500,000 EVs.
EV of the Week
Cape Air signed a LOI this week for 75 Electric Alice aircrafts from Eviation. The electric airplane has room for 9 passengers and 2 crew members, travels at a top speed of 250 knots, and can cover 500 ground miles. Who said we had to pick a car for the EV of the Week? Nobody! That is why we chose the electric flying Alice as the EV of the Week. Watch out, we might choose an electric boat next week… -John @ Mobility EVo
I ended my ski season with a powder day a couple of weekends ago, but then I watched the video of this UTV and now I am pumped for next season (scroll down for the video). DolaGon is an autonomous Polaris Ranger Crew UTV and is designed to transport skiers while giving users and operators the opportunity to control it autonomously, via a remote control, or driving manually. Certainly, it has other uses, but those fresh tracks look appealing.
-John @ Mobility EVo
In other AV News
- A project between the Politecnico di Milano and the University of Alabama won the first autonomous head-to-head car race at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The PoliMOVE race team also set a new land speed record for AVs at 192.2 mph. Scroll for a video
- Korea’s only AI startup, Mars Auto, plans to release self-driving trucks by 2023.
- Finnish self-driving tech company, Sensible 4, completed a pilot test in not-so-sensible weather conditions. Read about their test run here.
- To power its autonomous vehicles, Volkswagen will use Qualcomm chips as soon as 2026.
- General Motors’ Cruise may be the first company to offer commercialized autonomous rides in San Francisco.
- Innoviz Technologies has been selected by multiple car brands to supply LiDAR software. Innoviz’s quarterly update on May 11 will go into more detail about the news.
EPG and Mobility EVo
Mobility EVo is brought to you by EPG. EPG is an electric vehicle and autonomous vehicle recruiting and staffing company. We created Mobility EVo to bring you latest news on the Electric Vehicle and Autonomous Vehicle industry through our newsletter. Whether it’s Tesla, Ford, Mobileye, Cruise, Waymo, GM, Rivian, we bring it to you. We also have some electric vehicle merch too. Check out our EV hats, EV Shirts, EV Hoodies, etc… We have something for everyone.