🚙The EV Acceleration Challenge
The White House has issued a call to action for all stakeholders in the private and public sectors to actively support the historic transition to electric vehicles (EVs), as part of President Biden's goal to have 50% of all new vehicle sales be electric by 2030. The EV Acceleration Challenge is focused on four categories: Tools and Resources, Consumer Education and Support, EV Fleet Expansion, and Community Charging. Organizations of all sizes can make a commitment, including automakers, technology companies, non-profit organizations, state and local governments, and schools and universities.
As of now, there are over three million EVs on the road and more than 135,000 public charging stations across the country. The White House encourages organizations to share their commitments, such as developing tools to help consumers access EV incentives, educating the public about EVs and their benefits, increasing EV penetration in public and private fleets, and expanding access to EV charging in commercial and multifamily settings.
Examples of potential commitments include:
- Uber pledges to achieve 400 million electric vehicle miles driven in the US by 2023 through its Green Future program and partnerships with various companies.
- Xcel Energy and Colorado Car Share will launch an electric car sharing program by 2023 to benefit underserved and high emissions communities in Colorado.
- Drive Clean Colorado, a Clean Cities Coalition, will provide 5,000 EV ride and drives to underserved and disproportionately affected communities in Colorado by 2023.
- First Student, a major school bus service provider, will transition 30,000 fossil fuel-powered buses to electric school buses by 2035.
- Enel X Way aims to sell over 2 million EV chargers, including over 10,000 public DC fast charging stations, in North America by 2030, and plans to enter the North American EV public charging station market by 2023.
- Hertz plans to quintuple its EV rentals to two million in 2023, expanding the electric experience for various travelers and rideshare drivers nationwide.
- Plug in America aims to engage 250,000 consumers within a year through PlugStar.com, their online EV information and shopping platform.