🚗How Polestar and Hot Wheels are collaborating...
News in 5 minutes or less. An electric VW GTI, Hot Wheels collaboration with Polestar, Lucid to sell less expensive EVs, the electric future of desire with the Mercedes-Benz CLA, and so much more.
Just scroll. Don’t forget to share. If everyone gets a friend to subscribe, we’ll run an incredible giveaway next month.
“Somebody once asked
"Could I spare some change for gas?
I need to get myself away from this place"
I said, "Yep, what a concept
I could use a little fuel myself"
And we could all use a little change”
EV Infrastructure Summit is a virtual event that will equip you with the knowledge and skills to leverage the benefits, opportunities, and challenges in the EV charging market. You will learn how to make EV charging stations a source of revenue, how to prepare your sites for EV compatibility, and how to contribute to a green transportation system. You will also connect with other emerging EV charging players and get motivated by the best practices of other firms in the sector. Get involved now!
Top 10ish News Stories powered by EV.Careers
- Volkswagen showcased its extensive electric vehicle range, including the ID.GTI Concept, at the IAA Mobility, with plans to launch eleven new all-electric models and aiming to produce only electric vehicles in Europe by 2033.
- Swedish electric vehicle maker Polestar is set to launch a smartphone in December alongside its third model, the Polestar 4, as part of their strategy to integrate technology and offer a seamless transition between their cars and mobile devices, facilitated through a joint venture with Chinese smartphone maker Meizu, emphasizing the importance of tech features for Chinese car buyers.
- Following in Tesla's footsteps, Lucid Motors, plans to produce more affordable electric cars with a target price of around $50,000 to address the entry price point obstacle to widespread electric vehicle adoption while aiming for greater efficiency and shorter charging times in the future.
- Polestar has unveiled a 1:1 scale model of the 'Polestar Synergy' electric fantasy supercar, designed through a contest, while also announcing a partnership with Mattel's Hot Wheels for future design inspiration and collectible models based on Polestar's production vehicles.
- The Mercedes-Benz Concept CLA Class revealed at IAA Mobility 2023, offers a glimpse into the brand's upcoming family of electric vehicles designed on the Modular Architecture platform, focusing on iconic design, dynamic performance, exceptional customer experience, sustainability, and technology leadership with a range of over 466 miles in WLTP and an innovative user interface.
- Partnering with Amazon's AWS cloud computing technology, BMW plans to develop its next-generation advanced driver assistance system for its upcoming Neue Klasse electric cars launching in 2025, aiming to enhance ADAS technology and compete with Tesla, utilizing AWS for data storage, processing, and AI development, with an emphasis on cloud-based updates and Qualcomm's Snapdragon Ride platform to power its ADAS from 2025.
- Chinese robotaxi startup, Deeproute.ai, plans to establish an operations center in Germany in 2024 and launch its autonomous driving solution, Drive 3.0, in the German market next year, marking another Chinese mobility company expanding its presence in Germany and seeking to collaborate with European automakers.
- Opel unveiled its Experimental concept car at the IAA Mobility, emphasizing its electric future and commitment to offering battery-electric versions of all models by 2024 and launching new models as fully battery-electric vehicles starting in 2025, while also showcasing the Opel Astra Sports Tourer Electric and the Opel Corsa Electric, along with a new digital customer experience to make car buying easier and more exciting.
- Hyundai’s August U.S. sales reached 65,046 units, with electric vehicle sales breaking records and rising 80% year-over-year, despite a slight dip in overall monthly sales compared to July, as the automaker continues to perform well in 2023 compared to 2022.
- NIO reported 19,329 vehicle deliveries in August, marking an 81.0% year-over-year increase, and a total of 94,352 deliveries from January to August 2023, reaching a cumulative total of 383,908 vehicle deliveries.
- The Polestar 2 electric hatchback coming in 2024 includes exterior design changes, improved power and range, a new battery, and various options packages, making it a more enticing offering from the electric car manufacturer.
- In August 2023, XPENG achieved a 24% month-over-month increase in Smart EV deliveries, totaling 13,690 units, and notably, the XPENG G6 deliveries surpassed 10,000 units in just 45 days since its launch, with plans to enhance its XNGP ADAS prototype.
The 400v/800v debate doesn't need a winner. Do you want 800v in your smartphone? Certainly not! There are better voltages for different applications, and there are always trade-offs. I expect the EV space to maintain 2 or 3 voltage levels for different applications. For on-road EVs, 800v offers great advantages when a lot of power or energy are needed; the economies of scale work well there. However, the additional component count and complexity for 800v needs to be justified by the advantages, mostly in reducing current, whether for charging or in operation. It's worth noting that Tesla has accomplished eyewatering technical feats and instigated a revolution in transportation, all on 400v and with no signs of change…
Follow Ned for more on his charging thoughts.
Tiny Electric Boat