Happy Thursday and first full week of October. We have news on Ferrari, Ford, Tesla, Sixt, Flying EVs, and so much more. Clear your afternoon, this ones got a lot of content.
Thank you for reading, and make sure to share this newsletter with the link below. It helps us to grow our audience and provide better content.
Imagine driving a car made out of recycled cardboard. Now, you can, with Citroen’s newest EV concept. The Citroen Oli has a hood, roof, and bed panels made from recycled cardboard. Yup, you heard that right. The Oli can also reach a top speed of 68 mph, has a range of 248 miles, and can charge from 20% to 80% in 23 minutes.
In other EV News
- BYD is getting a big order. Sixt will be purchasing 100,000 electric vehicles from BYD between now and 2028.
- Wisk Aero, a startup company backed up by Boeing, has introduced its sixth-generation aircraft; the autonomous flying Electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing or eVTOL.
- General Motors will boost EV production. GM posted its highest quarterly sales for its Bolt EV and Bolt EUV with 14,709 vehicles sold.
- Ford’s electric vehicle sales jumped 92% in Q2. In Q2 2021, Ford sold 7,047 units. In 2022, the company sold 13,498 EVs. The Mach-E was Ford’s best selling EV with 9,499 delivered EVs.
- Tesla delivered 343,000 vehicles and produced 365,000 EVs during the third quarter, beating the company’s prior records. Tesla produced almost 346,000 Model 3 and Model Y cars in the same period.
- Toyota has faced criticism for the rate at which they are producing EVs. Toyota’s CEO, Akio Toyoda, is standing his ground. The company believes that EVs aren’t the only solution for automakers to achieve carbon neutrality.
- Introducing the new Atlas EV - the world’s first fully electric amphibious 8x8 XTV. On sale for $50,000, the vehicle can reach speeds of 25 mph on land and 3 mph on water. Built by Argo, the car has a 12-inch touchscreen.
There are no plans for Ferrari to go autonomous. Ferrari believes that its customers wouldn't spend money on the computer to enjoy the drive. Ferrari is working on plans for electrification which we’ve had a taste of with its hybrid vehicles in recent years from the LaFerrari to the more recent SF90.
In other AV News
- Mobileye, Intel’s autonomous company, has filed for an IPO and estimated the company is worth $30 billion.
- Congrats, Hyundai! Hyundai Motor Company won its first Luminary honor at the Red Dot Award: Design Concept 2022 for its Trailer Drone fully autonomous hydrogen mobility concept. Hyundai won three awards in total.
- Waymo ran its autonomous vehicles against a virtual superhuman driver in a series of tests to see which option is better at avoiding crashes. Guess who did better!
- Lyft began offering customers in Austin, TX the option to hail one of their autonomous vehicles last Thursday. The Argo AI AV technology will cost the same as a regular ride.
- Cruise wants to launch driverless rides in Austin by the end of 2022.
EPG and Mobility EVo
Mobility EVo is brought to you by EPG. EPG is an electric vehicle and autonomous vehicle recruiting and staffing company. We created Mobility EVo to bring you the latest news on the Electric Vehicle and Autonomous Vehicle industry through our newsletter. Whether it’s Tesla, Ford, Mobileye, Cruise, Waymo, GM, Rivian, we bring it to you. We also have some electric vehicle merch too. Check out our EV hats, EV Shirts, EV Hoodies, etc… We have something for everyone.