Snow, Crashes, and a Bear 🐻
Update on my son's ATV adventure in the mountains: The weekend turned out better than expected, with only a few crashes but thankfully, no broken bones. We consider that a victory! Our electric rides together are awesome. Interestingly, there was a mid-June snowfall in the mountains, and we had the incredible opportunity to spot deer, a horse, a bear, and a couple of moose. It was truly a wild experience!
Don’t miss our special newsletter edition on Wednesday. We have an exclusive interview with the driver of the Rivian R1T, the electric truck that will compete in the Pikes Peak race this year.
“Your ups and downs in sports, I think they are as normal as daily life: One day you wake up and feel great, the next day you wake up and feel maybe less great.”
– Michael Schumacher
Who is working on simulating a manual transmission for its EVs?
The answer is here.
Top 10ish News Stories
- Kia has begun delivering its flagship EV9 electric SUV in South Korea, with plans for it to be released in the US later this year.
- Tesla CEO, Elon Musk, believes that the automaker's market capitalization is closely linked to its ability to achieve autonomous driving, as he explained during a conversation with Antoine Arnault at the VivaTech conference in Paris, highlighting the potential high value of autonomy and the idea of Tesla vehicles becoming a fleet of self-driving robotaxis.
- In mid-October, an affordable electric car called the Citroën e-C3 will be unveiled by Stellantis. The e-C3 boasts a range of 198 miles, a 57-minute fast charging capability, and is expected to offer pre-bookings by the end of this year, with deliveries commencing in the second quarter of 2024.
- Stellantis has stopped delivering gas-only vehicles to 14 U.S. states in accordance with California's vehicle emissions rules.
- Georgia is positioning itself as the "electric mobility capital of the country" by attracting electric vehicle manufacturers and suppliers through incentives and job creation.
- The San Francisco Bay Area has become the first major metropolitan area in the United States where electric and hybrid cars make up 50% of new car sales, with electric and hybrid vehicles accounting for 53.1% of new car sales in April.
- TuSimple has completed China's first fully autonomous semi-truck run on public roads without human intervention, highlighting its ability to navigate complex road and weather conditions in urban and highway environments within the port area of Shanghai.
- Xpeng has expanded its self-driving capability to Beijing, making it the first Advanced Driver Assistance System available in the urban areas of the city, with plans for further expansion to other cities in China.
- Ford Motor Co. Executive Chairman, Bill Ford Jr., acknowledged that the US is not yet ready to compete with China in electric vehicle production, prompting Ford to take an all-encompassing approach to prepare for the future, as China rapidly develops and scales its EV production.
- The Tesla Model Y continues its impressive sales performance, doubling registrations in the US to 127,541 in the first four months of 2023 and becoming the second best-selling vehicle overall, surpassing popular cars and SUVs such as the Toyota Camry and Honda CR-V, with the Model Y accounting for more than half of Tesla's total registrations.
- BYD has announced its new sub-brand FANG CHENG BAO, which aims to meet personalized consumer needs by offering a range of unique and professional-grade new energy vehicle models, representing a greater realm unfolding in the global e-mobility transition.
- In the realm of autonomous driving development, the 3D Occupancy Prediction Challenge was won by NVIDIA, demonstrating their cutting-edge model design and the effectiveness of their NVIDIA DRIVE platform in accurately predicting 3D occupancy. This platform plays a crucial role in providing essential information to autonomous vehicle planning and control stacks.
See our job openings and learn about our $599 referral program below! Featured jobs include: